The Grand Hotel Nuwara Eliya
Grand Hotel, an Iconic Landmark of Sri Lanka situated in the high elms of Nuwara Eliya (known as “Little England” or “Switzerland of the East”), counts on a heritage exceeding 124 years.
Enchanted with the tranquility and beauty of the salubrious climes of Nuwara Eliya, Sir Edward Barnes, Governor of Ceylon during the era from 1830 to 1850 built the Barnes Hall at his own expense, which now stands as the legendary “Grand Hotel”
Whilst maintaining the British Colonial architecture, the Hotel has evolved to resonate palatial grandeur blended with exceptional hospitality that has surpassed the expectations of many a visitor
In the 1990s the Archeology Department of Sri Lanka identified the Grand Hotel as a ‘National Heritage Property’. In 2005 the SAGA food award was awarded to the Grand Hotel. The award is based on the year’s customer feedback and regular inspections carried out by “SAGA Holidays” for consistency and standards maintained for food quality, presentation, Variety, hygiene and service.
In 2009 the Grand Hotel was awarded a ‘Four Star’ status by the Hotels Classification Committee of the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority.
- Presidential Suites - Located in the heart of Aspen with a unique blend of contemporary luxury and historic heritage, deluxe accommodations, superb amenities, genuine hospitality and dedicated service for an elevated experience in the Rocky Mountains.
- Junior Suites - Located in the heart of Aspen with a unique blend of contemporary luxury and historic heritage, deluxe accommodations, superb amenities, genuine hospitality and dedicated service for an elevated experience in the Rocky Mountains.
- Deluxe Rooms - Counting 124 years as the Grand Hotel and known as the Barnes Hall 50 years before that, the hotel sits in the centre of a well-manicured colourful garden. The 89 rooms on the Governors wing overlooks the grounds and the hotel premises while the 62 rooms on the Golf wing has a view of the hotel grounds and the golf course.
Offering the finest of dining in Nuwara Eliya, a truly extensive array of gourmet cuisine from the west and the east is yours to indulge in, at our many restaurants, bars and lounges.
- Barnes Hall - Named after the illustrious governor Edward Barnes, this buffet restaurant offers an exquisite array of delicacies from all around the for dinner each evening. The Barnes Hall has retains the grandeur with which it hosted the state banquets and the famous seasonal balls of yesteryear to take you back in time while you the best of food and wine.
- Magnolia - Our all day dining restaurant offers something for everyone, light on not so light, from crispy farm fresh salads to wraps, sandwiches, burgers and steaks.
- Grand Thai - The exotic flavors of authentic Thai cuisine is yours to savor, at the Grand Thai, where our specialty chefs and servers are at hand to make sure you have a memorable dining experience. There’s sweet, there’s salty, there’s hot and a thousand other sensations that makes Thai cuisine so very special. You will find the stars such as Tom yams and Phad thai’s on the menu, while the array of curries is sure to catch your eye. Now, where there is curry there is rice, and the indispensable flavorsome Jasmine Rice steamed to perfection by our chefs to provide you an authentic thai experience.
- Grand Indian - The much sort after Grand Indian restaurant, dishes out an array of flavors spanning the subcontinent, all masterfully put together by Chef Ranbir Singh and his team. Naan, Parota, Tandoori Roti and a host of other wholesome breads are baked fresh to accompany the regional delicacies of India, each day for Lunch and Dinner.
- Tea Lounge - Probably the most talked of outlet in Nuwara Eliya, the Grand Tea Lounge offers a delightful array of snacks, cakes , fondue and wood fired Pizzas, all ready to be washed down by a selection of single estate and blended Teas. The much acclaimed High Tea served on tiered stands, is sure to make your afternoon a memorable one.
- Coffee Bar - Just like our Wine and our Tea, we take our coffee seriously. Just across the colorful front lawn of the hotel, is the Coffee Bar, where you can have that perfect Cappuccino, Mocha, Espresso or Americano, accompanied with an array of freshly baked cakes and pastries.
- Barnes Fusion Grill - After sunset each evening the Barnes Fusion Grill comes alive with sizzling oriental, arabic and far eastern fusion cuisine to keep you warm and energized throughout the cool evening. Our sommelier will be at hand to suggest the wine to complement your menu choice, or present you our famous Fruit Juice Guide, from which you can choose a farm fresh tropical drink to suit your every mood.
- Piano Lounge - Enjoy the soothing notes of a piano while you sip your favorite drink with friends or family. This Victorian lounge is offers you a selection of delightful finger food to choose from to make it a perfect rendezvous.
- The Prince George Suite - The Prince George Suite is a tastefully designed room which can host meetings, conferences, and other gatherings not exceeding 100 persons. It is conveniently located adjacent to the Grand Thai restaurant and Bar.
- Grand Outdoor Catering - We are now geared to bring the culinary excellence of our Chefs to your door step. All you got to do is name the venue and we will ensure that your event is made to dazzle with the very best in food and wine. Buffet Luncheons, Dinners, and even Breakfasts, Sit- down Lunches and Dinners and Cocktails are possibilities with the Grand Food & Beverage Team.
Our colonial setting may take you back to the past, but our amenities are definitely 21st century – with cable TV, Mini Bar and IDD phones including the standard hotel services from laundry, safety deposit boxes and currency exchange to concierge; 24 hour reception and room service. We offer banquet and conference facilities for up to 200 guests and a Business Centre for the corporate traveller. With the charming traditional atmosphere and the extensive gardens, we are also the popular choice for local weddings.
Sports: If you must keep yourself busy, there’s a health centre to keep yourself fit, and a small shopping arcade for some retail therapy and to find that perfect souvenir to take home. For the more active, there is Tennis; and of course the famed Golf club, right opposite the hotel.