We are Saraii Village, one of the most eco friendly hotels in Sri Lanka home to travellers who search for the road less travelled, those who want authenticity in their holiday, those who seek new adventures taking only pictures and leaving only lasting footprints in our hearts.
Saraii is one of the most sought after Weerawila hotels nestled inside a private estate in the middle of the dry zone. Our mud chalets are designed in line with true Sri Lankan rural homes which means an “open air” concept. Our tree houses are guest favourites and never fail to wow the kids. All this makes Saraii the best place to escape the sizzling heat thanks to the cool cover of a man-made mini canopy of over 1,000 trees.
When we promise you the Essence of Sri Lanka we are promising you a truly rustic stay with the feel of a private home in the wilds thrown in, and the added experience of great food, good wine and some wild adventures.
- Tree House Suites - Our large tree house suites are Saraii’s newest addition to our collection of treetop experiences. Large enough and laid out to house even 8 guests each tree house suite comes with two floors with an extra-large bed and inbuilt bathroom upstairs and large spacious lounge downstairs. The suites are perfect for couples looking for a romantic getaway or for friends who travel in groups. Sip a fresh fruit cocktail on the deck of your tree house suite and understand what it means to forget your worries, indulge your senses and enjoy the healing power of the natural world. Step out on the deck at night and enjoy the night sky with its clear view only the dry zone can offer and a view of treetop serenity you will only feel at Saraii.
- Superior Tree House - The Superior tree house is among Saraii's oldest tree houses with 2 floors providing room for 3 to 4 people. Built on a sturdy old Palu tree, the tree house is 25 feet high and lives up to its name and is known for giving its guests an immense feeling of safety high up in the leaves. Once you clamber up the ladder you will discover why it's also a guest favourite. Perfect for families with kids, the Superior tree house is a favourite with every child who has stayed at Saraii and the child in every adult as well! Loved most for its view of the surroundings and the unbeatable sway of the tree every time the winds blow, The tree house is a popular choice of accommodation amongst eco lodges in Sri Lanka and is also great for groups who want to bunk down together. Clamber up the ladder to find out just how safe you will feel in this perfect shelter in the trees.
- Deluxe Tree House - The Deluxe tree house is easily the coziest tree house at Saraii. Built for a maximum of 3 people this is a true Ewok's hideout in the leaves. A landing at the bottom gives you the chance to sit and enjoy a moment of quiet and catch the morning rays of the rising sun. Sit inside one of the cosiest tree houses in Sri Lanka and feel its gentle sway as the evening turns into night and hear the sound of cicadas rising into a chorus. Each tree house at Saraii has a little survival box from binoculars, a cool box and first aid kit with free Wifi thrown in for those who remain desperate for connectivity even on holiday. Look out of your tree house hideout with your morning tea or coffee, seated on the cushions spread out on the floor of your tree house and you will discover why most guests hate to leave Saraii.
- Mud Chalet Suites - Saraii's pioneers are now the Mud Chalet Suites. They are large and spacious with bigger than king-size beds and are perfect for the visitors wanting to stay grounded. Our Mud Chalet Suites are cozily placed for comfort. One faces the rising sun and is surrounded by garden patches of organic fruits and vegetables. The other is tucked away in the corner of the man-made forest at Saraii which inspired its name. Private and spacious with a fan for additional cooling the Mud Chalet Suites are best loved for their larger than king-size beds. The cushioned outer porches of each suite at our eco lodge in Sri Lanka allows guests to put their heels up and just enjoy the surroundings or catch up on some reading. The original mud chalets are unique in how they are built, using the age old practice of mud walls which literally breathe. The Sri Lankan villager was a true expert at sustainable housing and Saraii learnt from the best. The walls absorb the cold and moisture at night which help keep the interior cool during the heat of the day. Each chalet also comes with a fan in case the natural cooling isn’t enough, a larger than king-size bed, mosquito netting.
- Superior Mud Chalet - The largest of our ground abodes is the Superior Mud Chalet that stands apart and alone but is best placed for privacy, comfort and simple relaxation. Lovingly designed with antique doors and windows and its own private bathroom this is a home by itself for couples wishing to just stay in and enjoy the peace and quiet or for the lazy guest looking for a quiet read, a comfortable bed and breakfast in bed. The spacious area of the Superior Mud Chalet also makes it perfect for groups of friends wishing to spend their holiday time together. The chalet has its own collection of board games and books and a great collection of tea and coffee that will keep you up for those late night conversations.
- Deluxe Mud Chalet - Small is beautiful and we know it. Nestled under our tree house suites lie the cozy couple of Deluxe Mud Chalets at Saraii which are perfect for those romantic escapes. Deluxe Mud Chalets can be reserved as an extra room as a Tree House Suite "Combo". Colourful and comfortable, each of our Deluxe Mud Chalets are well appointed with some creative niches and fittings and are lovingly crafted with some artistic nooks that add detailed authenticity to each chalet. Saraii is all about bringing out your best expression of love which is why we’ve paid some extra attention to bringing out the romance even the simplest corners of these cozy little chalets. Discover why small is beautiful inside the cozy corners of our Deluxe pair.