Fort Fredrick

Port of Trincomalle was referred “Gokanna” during ancient times and has attracted ancient sea farers like Marco Polo, Ptolemy. Fort Fredrick was built Portuguese in 1624 and according to notes they built it with the debris of an ancient Hindu temple destroyed by them. Admiral Westerwold captured the fort for the Dutch in 1639 and in 1665 a new fort was built by them to defend against the French & the British emerging Navel powers. In 1795 the fort was taken over by the British and remained a garrison till 1948 with Allied Supreame commander, Lord Louise Mount Batton (The Last Viceroy of India) being stationed here.